POCAHONTAS COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
The Board of Supervisors serves as Pocahontas County’s top governing body. The board’s five members are elected from Supervisor Districts that are proportionate to the county’s population. Each district is redrawn following the completion of the decennial census. Each member serves a four-year term.
- Jeffrey Ives - Jeff represents District 1, which includes all of Cummins, Powhatan, and Des Moines Townships, portions of Sherman, Roosevelt, and Garfield Townships and the communities of Havelock, Plover, and Rolfe.
- Clarence Siepker - Clarence represents District 2, which includes all of Swan Lake Township, portions of Marshall and Sherman Townships and the community of Laurens.
- Kyle Smith - Kyle represents Disctrict 3, which includes Center Township and the community of Pocahontas.
- Brent Aden - Brent represents District 4, which includes all of Bellville, Lincoln, Lake, and Lizard Townships, portions of Roosevelt and Garfield Townships, and the communities of Palmer and Gilmore City.
- Louis Stauter - Louis represents District 5, which includes all of Cedar, Dover, Grant, and Colfax Townships, portions of Marshall and Sherman Townships, and the communities of Fonda and Varina. Stauter, a farmer from rural Fonda, has served on the Board of Supervisors since 2008.
- Approves bonds of county officials
- Approves reports of county officials
- Establishes and vacates public highways
- Levies taxes to raise revenues for county purposes
- Allows claims against the county and orders same paid
- Fills vacancies in county offices, except members of its own body
- Constitutes a drainage board of the various districts of the county
- Allows or disallows homestead credit claims and military exemptions
- Approves cigarette, beer and liquor applications for permits outside cities
- Refunds taxes on property erroneously assessed