99 Court Square, Suite 8
Pocahontas, IA 50574
[Get Directions]

Office Hours:
Mon-Fri: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

Driver's License Hours:
- by appointment only

Phone: 712-335-4334
Fax: 712-335-5047

About the Department

Department Duties

In Pocahontas County, these are the main areas of operation for the Treasurer's office:

  • Property Taxes
  • Motor Vehicle Registration and Titles
  • Driver's License
  • Military/Veteran Driver's License and Vehicle Services
  • Cash Management
Property Taxes

We collect property taxes for real estate and mobile homes, special assessments and drainage assessments in Pocahontas County. We administer the Iowa Property Tax Credit Program and conduct the annual tax sale for the collection of delinquent taxes. You may pay your taxes online at www.iowatreasurers.org.

Motor Vehicle Registrations and Titles

We issue all motor vehicle titles and registrations. Online renewals are available at www.iowatreasurers.org.

Driver's License

The issuance and renewals of driver's licenses can be obtained in our office.

Military/Veteran Driver's License and Vehicle Services

The Iowa Department of Transportation offers several services to assist current and former military members. A Veteran designation can be added to your driver's license or ID card. There is a military extension of an Iowa driver's license for active military personnel. There are several Iowa Military service license plates available. If you have recent experience driving large trucks in the military, there is a CDL waiver available. Additional information available here.

Cash Management

The Treasurer's office is also responsible for financial administration, cash management and investments for the county. We manage about $34 million per year in receipts, distribution of collections to schools, cities and all other taxing agencies.

When do I receive a property tax statement?
The tax statements are usually mailed out in August.

When are property tax payments due?
Your tax statement will have two stubs at the top to make payment. You may pay the full year in the fall or choose to make two payments by the due dates. FIRST HALF Taxes are due September 30 and become delinquent October 1st. SECOND HALF TAXES are due March 31 and become delinquent April 1st. The interest rate on   delinquent taxes is 1 ½ % per month rounded to the nearest whole dollar. There is a minimum of $1.00.

When are special assessments and drainage taxes due?
Special assessment and drainage assessments are both due in full on September 30 and become delinquent October 1st.

Can I make a partial payment on my property taxes?
Yes, partial payments are accepted for current taxes. Partial payments are not allowed for delinquent taxes that are part of a tax sale.

Can I make a partial payment on special assessment or drainage taxes?
No. Both special assessment and drainage taxes must be paid in full.

What happens if my taxes are not paid by the due date?
On the first of each month, late interest at the rate of 1 ½ % per month will be added to the unpaid balance of your property taxes. If not paid by the third Monday in June, the taxes will be offered at our annual tax sale.

What is the Iowa Property Tax Credit?
Residents are eligible to file a claim for property tax credit if their total household income is less than $22,360 and one of the following applies: 65 years of age or older by December 31, 2016 Or if they are totally disabled and 18 years of age or older by December 31, 2016. Claims for Iowa Disabled and Senior Citizen Property Tax and Mobile Home Tax Credits must be filed with the Treasurer’s office by June 1st of each year.

What are my payment options?
You may pay online at www.iowatreasurers.org using Master Card, Visa, Discover Card or e-Check. You may also pay by mail or in the office with cash, check, money order or Master Card, Visa and Discover Card.

When are delinquent tax notices mailed?
Delinquent tax notices are mailed by November 1st and May 1st each year.

I have lost my validation sticker or registration, where do I go obtain a new one?
If you live in Pocahontas County, you come to the Pocahontas Treasurer Office or give us phone call. There is a $3.00 charge.

When can I register my vehicle?
Vehicles can be renewed one month before they expire, the month of expiration, and one month after their expiration date.

What is a Form 2290 and when does the Treasurer office need it?  
A Form 2290 is a Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return that is filed with the IRS registering trucks that register 28 tons or more. You need to provide the Pocahontas County Treasurer with the stamped Form 2290 that you receive back from the IRS before you are allowed to register your trucks with a weight of 28 ton or more.

How do I get a title on a vehicle I just purchased?
The title or MSO for the new vehicle must be surrendered to the County Treasurer’s office. The back page of the title must be completed with the buyer/sellers name and address. Complete the odometer and damage disclosure statements if applicable. An Application for Certificate of Title and or/Registration must be completed by all owners purchasing the vehicle.

When is an odometer reading needed?
An odometer statement is required on any vehicle 9 model years and newer. There is an odometer statement on the certificate of title that must be completed by the seller.  The odometer reading needs to be designated as either (A) Actual, (B) Not Actual or (C) Exceeds Mechanical Limits.

When is a damage disclosure needed?
A damage disclosure statement is required for all motor vehicles seven model years & newer except:
1. Motor trucks and truck tractors with a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,000 pounds or more.
2. Vehicles more than seven model years old.
3. Motorcycles
4. Motorized Bicycles
5. Special Mobile Equipment
6. New motor vehicles with a true mileage of 1,000 miles or less, unless the vehicle has sustained damage for which the cost of repair exceeds 50% of the fair market value of the vehicle.

How do I put a vehicle in storage?
You will need to turn in your license plates and current registration before your registration expires at the Pocahontas Treasurer office. When removing a vehicle from storage, the full year license fee will need to be collected.

I just moved into Pocahontas County from out-of-state! How and when do I register my vehicles?
Iowa law requires you to register your motor vehicle with your County Treasurer's office within 30 days from the date you establish residency. Iowa registration is required even though your license plates may still be valid in another state. The following documents are required to be surrendered to the County Treasurer's office:
1. Current ownership document (Certificate of title and/or current registration if title is being held by a lien holder.)
2. A completed Application for an Iowa Certificate of Title and/or Registration. The application must be signed by all owners. If there is a lien against the vehicle, it should be noted on the application.

I just moved into Pocahontas County from another county in Iowa. What do I need to do?
Iowa law requires you to change the address on your motor vehicle registration within 30 days of moving into Pocahontas County. You need to contact the Pocahontas Treasurer Office and give them your new address. An updated registration will be given to you. Replacing the license plates to Pocahontas County is optional.

How do I junk a vehicle?
Complete a junking certificate and return this certificate with the title to the Treasurer's office. If you vehicle is 12 model years old or older and if the vehicle is sold to a recyler for less than $1,000.00; a junking certificate or a title is not needed. Your recyler will have the form you need to be complete.

How do I apply for unused registration fees?
If a replacement vehicle is not purchased, the unused registration fees may be refunded if the remaining unused registration fee is $10 or more and the plates are turned in for the vehicle sold or junked to the Pocahontas County Treasurer Office. A claim for refund can be filed up to six months after the date the vehicle was sold, junked or moved out of state.

If I moved out-of-state how do I get a refund on my unused registration fees?
Send the plates to the Pocahontas County Treasurer Office along with current out-of-state registrations and file a claim for refund.

Where can I renew my driver’s license in Pocahontas County?
Pocahontas County Court house second floor - 99 Court Square, Pocahontas Iowa 50574

What hours are you open?
Driver's license station open from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.

What are the testing hours?
Tests can be taken from 8:00 to 2:30.

When can I renew my driver’s license?
Your license expires on your birthday. You can renew your driver’s license thirty calendar days before your birthday and sixty calendar days after your birthday. While your license is valid in Iowa during the sixty day grace period following your birthday, other states, businesses or airlines may not recognize the sixty day grace period.

I have moved to Pocahontas from out-of-state. How do I get my driver’s license?
New residents moving into Iowa will have to provide a birth certificate, social security card, current out-of-state driver’s license, and two proofs of residency.

I have moved to Pocahontas from another town in Iowa. Do I have to do anything with my drivers’ license?
The address on your driver’s license needs to be changed. The cost is $10.00. You need to do this 30 days after moving to your new home.

How does the tax sale work? 
Any unpaid tax, as of the 3rd Monday of June, shall be offered at  tax sale. Code 446.7.

Who can bid at tax sale?
You must register ahead of time in order to bid at the tax sale.  You will need to contact the  Pocahontas County Treasurer office in May to register. You must register every year.

  1. If you have an interest in a parcel, you may NOT bid on that parcel.  (spouse, lessee, renter, previous certificate holder, heir, any interest of record.)
  2. You must pay the registration fee, and provide a W-9 form, including your county of residence.

If I bid on a parcel, and don’t want it, or find out it should not have been sold, what happens then?
If the parcel was sold in error, you will receive a refund of the amount that you paid,  but no interest accrues.  (IE: Parcel was suspended & should not have been sold.)

  1. If you change your mind, and want a refund, that is not a valid reason.
  2. The tax sale is very much “Let The Buyer Beware”.  It is your responsibility to research parcels ahead of time, so that you know on what you are bidding.

What happens at the actual sale? 
Each parcel is offered, for exactly the amount of taxes, interest, and costs due, plus a     $20 certificate fee.  Whoever offers to pay that price is considered a bidder.  If more than one person is interested, the offer is made to bid down the percentage of interest in the property, to a minimum of 1% interest.  If the property eventually goes to a Treasurer’s Deed, you would receive a 1% undivided interest in the property.  You would need to go to court to settle the issue of the 1% undivided interest.

If a number of bidders tie at a certain percentage of interest, (from 100 to 1%,)   a random drawing process is used to determine the successful bidder.)

  1. At the end of the sale, each bidder pays the total due for all parcels purchased.
  2. If funds are not paid to treasurer, parcel may again be offered to other bidders.

After the sale, then what?
The treasurer will process all tax sale items, create the certificates, and mail them to  the successful bidders.   The investor shall keep the certificates in a safe place, as they will be needed in order to return in case of redemption, or to give to your attorney in order to start the proceedings to obtain deed.

  1. The investor should pay the subsequent taxes, as of Oct. 15th, and April 15th. These will be added to the certificate, and 2% interest per month will be added from the date payment is made.  It is up to the investor to follow the correct procedures.  The treasurer will not send you reminders
  2. Failure to pay the subsequent taxes may result in the parcel again being sold at the next tax sale, which may cause problems in the future.
  3. If redemption is made, you will receive your original investments, plus 2% per month interest.  It is your responsibility to check with the treasurer to see if any funds are due to you.
  4. Your certificate constitutes only a tax lien.  You have no responsibilities or rights until you actually obtain tax sale deed, and it is properly recorded.

How do I get deed to the property? 
Iowa Code 447.9, 447.12, and 447.13 apply to this process.  1 year and 9 months from a regular (1 year) tax sale, you should contact an attorney to start proceedings to obtain a tax sale deed.  Notices shall be sent to all persons set forth in Code 447.9.  (9 months from a “Public Bidder” tax sale.)

  1. An Affidavit of service (447.12) must be filed with the county treasurer before the 90-day period to redeem can start.  If redemption is not made within the 90 days, you are to contact the county treasurer to find out the fees and recording costs, and submit payment to the treasurer, who will then issue you a tax sale deed to the property.  If you fail to provide the fees within 90 days from expiration of right of redemption, your tax     sale certificate will be canceled, and you will have no claim on the parcel.   All monies will be forfeited.
  2.  The 120-day Affidavit found in 448.15, should also be filed.
  3. Failure to send the 90-day Notices of Expiration, within 3 years from the date of the tax sale, will result in cancellation of your tax sale certificate, and loss of all money invested.

How do I find the information for each County?
Go back to the Welcome Page of www.iowatreasurers.org and in the upper left is a link named Locate your County Treasurer

  1. Click on this link, and a map of Iowa will appear with all counties listed.  Click on the county in which you are interested.
  2. The Home Page of that county will appear, and you should be able to see the links to that counties Registration packet, Instructions, W-9 form, etc.  Print as needed.
  3. Click the green ISCTA HOME button on the far left, directly below the courthouse pictures at the top of the screen.   Then click on Locate your County Treasurer to select another county.